Check out this list of programs and apps that can be used to create fractals (the full list can be found here). Explore at least one of these programs to see what it does and what you can create, then enter a few responses!
- Chaos Pro. Freeware for Windows.
- Fractint. Freeware for Windows. There’s an add-on that allows you to create animations.
- Fractal Foundation list of fractal software
- Fractal app: http://fract.al/
- Scott Draves is well known in computing graphics circles for the creation of the open source flame fractal algorithm behind the Electric Sheepscreensaver ( available on google play/ app store), and the fractal flame editor Apophysis (freeware for Windows). I found an interesting talk he gave that’s worth checking out if it interests you.
- Ultra Fractal.
- FractalWorks. Freeware for Mac.
- Xaos. Freeware runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
- Recursive Drawing creates tree fractals.
- If you use Photoshop, you should know about Pixel Bender, which adds a number of filters, including Escher Droste Effect (useful quick “how to” on this) and Fractal Explorer (see demo video)
- Very simple creator for making a tree fractal
- Nico’s fractal machine, for Koch-snowflake-like fractals
- Fractal Maker applet that creates fractals using a recursive algorithm
- L-system fractal creator: A bit more challenging than some of the others, but can be great fun to play around with.